Friday, August 22, 2008

A brief and eye-opening conversation...

Yesterday afternoon, I was with a friend grabbing coffee at my favorite coffee shop after work. He and I have been friends for years now. We know exactly how to push each other's buttons and get under each other's skin. Yesterday was a classic example of the similar passions we have for opposite things. With all my recent desire to get out in this world, I've been able to talk about nothing more.  I was telling him about all the things I hope to do, and he looked at me as he does when he appreciates what I'm saying, but doesn't like the places it's taking me. As I was harping about how badly I need to get out of Kansas City and travel the world, he made the distinction between me and the majority of everyone around me. His statement was this 'I can't stop dreaming about all the things I want to do right here, where I'm at.' And I said, at nearly the same time, 'I can't stop dreaming of everything I'm missing out on because I'm here.' I've always known that I was meant to see this world, but those two statements make one thing perfectly clear. My sense of adventure will vanish if I don't pursue my dreams. If I fall flat on my face, at least I've done something my heart deems worthy. 

No comments: